[Noisebridge-discuss] MonkeyBrains donates a new uplink to Noisebridge

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Nov 27 21:14:55 UTC 2009

Ani Niow wrote, On 20091127 123132:
> The original fibre plan is not going to happen anymore because of the
> fact that we're using Monkeybrains now.

We're not using Monkeybrains for internet access at 2169 yet. A member
has gone ahead and purchased this link out of pocket. It is not hooked
up to the NB network.

> The members behind the original
> effort are not going to pursue this any further because we're (publicly)
> supporting a company that is risking their efforts on getting high speed
> internet access for all, not just Noisebridge. How can I be constructive
> and aid a project that is no longer active because we basically
> steamrolled their efforts?

I feel this argument is pretty poor one. Just because many members have
a preference for Windows which is developed by Microsoft, a company that
is in essence trying to "steamroll" the ideologies of open source
software, it's not stopping folks from implementing their own open
source solutions at Noisebridge.

Getting a Monkeybrains link at Noisebridge doesn't actually stop anyone
from getting a different link at the space. I can understand feeling
(butt) hurt about the situation, I can also understand not wanting to
continue with the project because they feel there isn't a need for it
anymore, or that a similar project has come by and jacked their
equipment, sure. But all I see is someone taking their GI Joes to
another playground because some other kid showed up with some Power
Rangers and Poke cards from Hong Kong.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net