[Noisebridge-discuss] MonkeyBrains donates a new uplink to Noisebridge

jim jim at well.com
Sun Nov 29 22:23:43 UTC 2009

my comments interspersed...
On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 13:39 -0800, Christie Dudley wrote:
> See, here is where I'm confused.  There are actions taken every day
> "in the name of Noisebridge" as people tell their friends and new cool
> people they meet about us.  Do we need to have each of these
> interactions approved?  No?
JS: seems worthy of examination. my opinion:
people inviting their friends to join NB seems not a case of "in
the name of noisebridge". setting up a partnership or customer
relation with another entity does. (just for clarity, anything a
member does to hack something, perform, create, etc., is done
personally; NB provides a venue in which people can do their
things.)

> So what happened here was a subset of us accepted a donation.  Does
> the action of accepting a donation require consensus?  We're supposed
> to turn potential donors away or put them on hold until we've aired it
> for a couple of weeks and talked about the pros and cons of accepting
> things.
JS: accepting a donation may or may not be "in the name of
noisebridge". people bring by tools, equipment, materials,
and general crap. mostly these are just dumped in the space,
maybe neatly. these are not "in the name of" nor "on behalf
of" noisebridge in any significant sense.
   Note that as NB is a 501(c)3 corporation, in the case of
donations by parties declaring their donations as 501(c)3
deductions on their tax statements, NB is bound by some
restrictions as to what we can do with the donations: we
can't just sell them, nor can we turn them over to one or
more members as their new personal toys. it's unlikely
but possible that the IRS or some other entity may want to
audit the donors and verify by inspection that NB has not
violated our legal restraints. in the case that NB no longer
wants a donation, dispersal must be done within legal bounds.
there may be costs NB has to incur, for example for some
donation that requires a lot of power to run, or something
that must have natural gas (NB may have to incur costs of
running gas lines), or there may be known safety hazards
that require some kind of improvement or that are disallowed
by the coding ordinances for this building....

> Although I've actually seen this happen, I believe it's bad for the
> group as a whole as we're exceptionally good at picking each other
> apart.  We will effectively choke ourselves off from all resources if
> we continue to play this game.
JS: i don't think we're so bad. we've had some email wildfires,
but seems to me things have simmered down reasonably well in
previous cases, and tho' a lot of us get bored or frustrated
with the volume, the air does get a good clearing.

some legal or financial other formal obligation.
"on behalf of noisebridge" means that noisebridge incurs some
spatial or labor or cost responsibility.
if the implications of members' actions have insignificant
affect in either regard, we're an anarchistic do-ocracy that
deprecates labels.

my opinion, of course.