[Noisebridge-discuss] MonkeyBrains donates a new uplink to Noisebridge

jim jim at well.com
Sun Nov 29 23:52:21 UTC 2009

...despite david's request (and gently put opinion)...

   the use of the word "cabal" also strikes me as worth
discussing. crutcher had used the word "oligarchy".

   the corresponding term i use is "core".
   in my experience every group has a core of members
that do most of the work, about 10 to 15 percent,
depending on the current morale.
   there's another ten or twenty percent that will chip
in to help from time to time.
   there's something like 40 or 50 percent that rarely
or never help out.
   note i'm reporting on experiences i've had in the
past, which seem to me at least somewhat a match to this
community.
   the point: both "cabal" and "oligarchy" include some
meaning of authority or clandestine or establishment or
some such. i think those meanings do not help us to
understand our community properly and i suggest we
consider deprecating using them and try to use words
that don't have a pejorative tone. just for the sake of
accurate understanding.