[Noisebridge-discuss] call for help with Walking-On-Water project

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 17:35:55 UTC 2009

My friend Brian is looking for help on this project that seems really cool to me.  I'm forwarding an email from him.  If you're intersted, please contact Brian directly (his email is at the bottom).

Mitch.

I am working on an art/engineering project which I have dubbed Sea Boots. It is a form that enables you to walk on water (clumsily at first, but I'm working on that). The design vaguely resembles the keel of a boat. It is a pair of ski-like forms (although 95% of the form rides underwater and is hidden from views) that are self-stabilizing (no fancy electronics, it's an entirely passive design) and resist wave action, rather like a buoy.

I am looking to pull together a small crew of people over the next two weeks to help with open water tests, with the goal of taking them out on the bay, details TBA, during the second weekend of October (Fleet Week). This is a short deadline, and I may not be able to pull this off if I encounter a major snag, but I think I have got these worked out to the point that it is a matter of intensive practice (and getting wet) until I get the hang of these things and/or make some quick on site mods. The forms are built, so at this point I am mostly looking for help with logistics getting around, and to borrow a couple specific items (wetsuit, lead weights or scrap metal for ballast).

It's a neat project, and I plan to publish the results in connection with public demos. I work on several interesting projects (see also www.worldwidelexicon.org), so in general I'd like to meet other people who share a similar bent, and help you out with yours in return. Assuming this doesn't end in embarrassment, I'll show you how to build your own set of Sea Boots (which hopefully you'll improve on).

I am also looking for a ride to Ephemerisle, as that's a perfect place to test, fine tune and demo.

Interested? I can be reached at bsmcconnell at gmail or skype.

Thanks in advance.

Brian McConnell

bsmcconnell at gmail.com