[Noisebridge-discuss] Bittorrent at 2169

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Sun Oct 11 23:01:34 UTC 2009

Jof and I did some network housekeeping earlier and think we found the
source of the network latency problems: bittorrent was running on the
local network and preventing the router from being fair to packets it
was being asked to pass towards the Internet.  I turned off the client
at about 3:35 and it seems to have significantly improved the latency
from the point of view of the status monitor:

  http://status.noisebridge.net/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=pony-noisebridge-net

Note that the latency spikes you see in the graph earlier were being
caused by around 100-200 kbps of traffic, far less than the 1mbit that
our upstream is supposed to be capable of.  It seems that even very
aggressive throttling of the torrent traffic isn't sufficient to
ensure fairness by the NAT router, so please avoid using bittorrent at
all.