[Noisebridge-discuss] Open iPhone Hardware Hacking?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Mon Oct 12 00:16:14 UTC 2009

I remember seeing the most recent WWDC keynote speech that the iphone
hardware interface was being opened up, I know that TomTom did a
presentation of how their hardware works with the iphone, etc.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience interfacing hardware with
the iphone. I don't want to jump into a new project, but I *really* want to
interface my bicycle flightdeck computer with the iphone. The shimano
ultegra shifter I have broke and it's going to cost a lot to replace if I
want to keep the interface with my flightdeck. I'm *really* interested in
something like this, instead:

http://www.everytrail.com/iphone.php

But, since it's GPS only, it's not very accurate.

I am curious how many people have done any hardware interfacing yet?

A 'plan B' may be to make our own wireless harness for the bicycle so we
could send that data via Bluetooth to the iphone...  I'm out of my depth on
this one and really want the product more than the hack.. So, I'm curious
and hopeful that other's may have come across this idea..

Cheers,

Glen
Even if we made our own wireless harness for the bicycle that could speak to
the iphone via bluetooth -- that may be an awesome 'plan B' idea... Of
course, that's a huge project to design properly :(