[Noisebridge-discuss] Open Source Bicycle Computer...

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Oct 18 04:28:35 UTC 2009

My Shimano Ultegra ST-6501 right bicycle shifter broke. But, the part can't
be found any more. It's replacement has only one button and won't interface
with my flight-deck....and, this cascading part replacement goes on...
making a simple part replacement, that should cost $200 or less, almost
$1000.
That's crazy. Of course, I imagine a good deal of this is 'good business' to
keep selling parts. I've been thinking about this for a month now and keep
thinking of an open source bicycle computer. After some noise bridge Monday
night hardware hacking, I'm inspired. The problem seems so doable..

I've done some Googling to see what has already been done. This German
design seems the absolute coolest:

http://www.obico.de/

Although it's "open source", I didn't see any schematics, parts, etc online.
I wrote to them to see if I could buy the hardware and/or a kit to assemble.
But, if they don't answer, would any one else be interested in taking a stab
at this?

I'm a software developer by trade and took digital design courses in
college. But, anything analog is beyond me (currently). I'd definitely need
to collaborate with others...  Logically, it seems the first two hurdles to
get past are:

1) to create something that fits on the bicycle that can send a pulse at
every turn of the wheel, and

2) A dynamo/power/recharge system -- it seems silly not to convert the
mechanical energy from a bicycle and use it.. Here's a similar idea:

http://www.ktverkko.fi/~msmakela/electronics/dynamo5v/

The obico also does this as well.

I already have a pretty good idea how to do something useful with a
microcontroller, small display, etc. But,  I'm *very* interested in
the obico's hardware design and Linux port -- totally above and cooler than
what I was thinking about.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a site that has some roots at
noisebridge. I found this fun little tangent from a manufacturer that did
the boarduino kit we assembled in Monday night's circuit hacking..

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

I found some old palm hacks and some other attempts at this:

http://blogs.thehumanjourney.net/finds/entry/20080306

http://japan.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm?an_pk=3845

Please say that someone here at noise bridge has crossed this bridge,
already has a solution and/or is interested in making one (similar to
obico's design). Again, I wrote to obico tonight, but their website hasn't
had anything posted since 2008. Does anyone know them?

Cheers,

Glen