[Noisebridge-discuss] Sewing machines update; workshop, Friday October 23 @ 7PM

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Mon Oct 19 06:52:48 UTC 2009

Both machines are functional.  The serger doesn't yet do the 5-thread
thing; there's a peculiarity I haven't worked out yet, but the 3-thread
stitch is 90% of what most people will use anyway.  The straight stitch
machine now has a bobbin case and a few extra bobbins.  Both are
threaded with yellow thread but there's other colors of thread, as well
as some other sewing implements, lying around in a white plastic bag (I
haven't organized this properly yet).

My next step is documentation.  I plan to write up instructions on the
basic operation of each of these on the wiki, with photos.  It'll
probably take me a couple of weeks to complete this.

Additionally I'll be running a workshop on operating the machines.  I'll
do this Friday the 23rd at 7PM -- if you can't make this but want to,
let me know and I'll either reschedule or do another.  If you aren't
familiar with industrial machines but want to use them, I strongly
encourage you to come to this. You can hurt yourself on either of these,
and particularly on the serger.

These are fun machines.  They are very high quality and they run REALLY
FAST!  Each has interesting features that you'll want to know more
about, so come learn about them.

Rachel