[Noisebridge-discuss] Bringin' drawbot back

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Sat Oct 24 23:07:59 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

You might remember muralizer, the drawbot project I started back in May.  If
not, here's the skinny: a robot that draws vector graphics files (SVG,
Illustrator, etc) on the wall.  Think of it as a wall-sized plotter.  I
started a group at noisebridge, and we made some good progress (Peter,
especially, did tons of great stuff).  We also left a bunch of loose ends to
tie up.  It was really fun working with people, bouncing around ideas, and
making progress.  Now, it's time to buckle down and tie off those loose
ends.

Over the last week, I've pulled a bit more of it together.  I now have a
mostly-working plotter (video available), but still need to hook the SVG
translator into the hardware, refine the motor control system (ie: intertial
dampening, holy crap does this pen swing around a lot), and nail down a
caddy design.  There are literally dozens of details that need to be
resolved, each of which is going to take a half a day of focused effort.  At
the end, I also want to put in a bulk order, so I can assemble kits, making
muralizer more accessible to everyone.

I'd love to spend the time on this, but still need to keep a roof over my
head and food on the table.  So, I've set up a PBS-style pledge drive over
at kickstarter.  If you pledge 15$, I'll give you a piece of test art from
the development of the bot.  For 63$, I'll print your vector file for you,
and send you that.  And so on, and so forth: the key thing is, it's a way
for the community to collaboratively fund projects.  There's more details to
it, but, the important thing is this: you can help make muralizer an awesome
kit by pledging a little money towards its development.  Having another
successful project at noisebridge would be great, and, of course, the
finished kit will always be available to noisebridgers at cost.

For all the details, check out

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1910641777/muralizer-it-prints-on-walls

or the blog at

  http://muralizer.com/blog/

Thanks again to everyone who helped get muralizer to this point, and a thank
you to everyone who will help it get to the next level!
--
Josh Myer 650.248.3796
josh at joshisanerd.com