[Noisebridge-discuss] getting that goddamned mill to work

Michael Wright mike at smallip.com
Thu Oct 1 23:42:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

So in playing with it Tuesday night, it looks like we actually have a
MaxNC 10 CL (closed loop).  Each stepper motor has an external
sensor.  From what I can tell this means it does accept Step and
Direction inputs, if it fails to make the requested move it turns on
one of the other pins so the computer knows.

After running the Jitter-Test program on the computer I have the
sinking suspicion that the machine we're trying to use isn't good
enough to send step and direction commands.  Basically the results I
got from the jitter test were about 10X the highest value the EMC2 UI
will let you set as allowable.  I did get PWM output on the Spindle
Drive to work, though it was way way way more surgy than I'd ever want
to use for actual machining.  This does fit with that particular
computer just not being sufficient for the task.

It's important to note that whereas everything else we use with a
computer has buffering built in, the CNC mill is controlled by the CPU
turning individual IO pins in the parallel port on and off.

My current thinking is to test this evening with one or two loaner
boxes and if that can be made to work sort out getting something
usable surplus or donated.

In terms of online research, it looks like Mach 3 claims to support
our mill. It's windows, but the free version supports like 500 gcode
lines.
http://www.machsupport.com/

I found a copy of the XML config file they use with Mach 3 for the
MaxNC 15 CL, here's the part that seems most useful.  It looks like
this file assumes no A axis, and from reading other posts from their
site it looks like pin or port 0 means about the same as /dev/null.
I'm not sure what they mean by DirNeg, but I suspect that means
inverted logic.

<YStepPin>4</YStepPin>
<YDirPin>5</YDirPin>
<XStepPin>6</XStepPin>