[Noisebridge-discuss] getting that goddamned mill to work

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Fri Oct 2 04:09:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM, dpc <weasel at meer.net> wrote:
> Michael Wright <mike at smallip.com> writes:
>
>> After running the Jitter-Test program on the computer I have the
>> sinking suspicion that the machine we're trying to use isn't good
>> enough to send step and direction commands.
>
> hmmm.... i never got around to schleping down the machine for the
> reversing stuff but just noticed it has a prallel port. how good is good enough?

I specifically selected the two small compaq machines I brought in for
doing parallel port I/O to the old alarm sensors.  The super I/O chip
on their motherboards is pretty good, and doesn't use LPC iirc, which
is probably what is screwing you up on the other computer.  Feel free
to repurpose one of them for the CNC machine.

I remember seeing one near the entrance to the DJ booth; it's the one
with all the donate! graffiti on it.  I'm not sure where the other one
is.

Neither one has a disk, but if you netboot anywhere on our internal
network you get dropped straight into a live debian distribution.  I'm
not sure if nils got the stateful persistence stuff working, so please
remember to save your work on pony or s1 or something if you want to
persist it.