[Noisebridge-discuss] getting that goddamned mill to work

Jesse Welz welzart at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 06:56:29 UTC 2009

2009/10/1 dpc <weasel at meer.net>:

>Michael Wright <mike at smallip.com> writes:
>
>> After running the Jitter-Test program on the computer I have the
>> sinking suspicion that the machine we're trying to use isn't good
>> enough to send step and direction commands.
>
>hmmm.... i never got around to schleping down the machine for the
>reversing stuff but just noticed it has a prallel port. how good is good enough?
>
>\p
>---
>In today already walks tomorrow. - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Here are the minimum requirements pulled from the Emc2 manual:

EMC2 and Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the
following minimum hardware specification. These numbers are not the
absolute minimum but will give reasonable performance for most stepper
systems.

700 MHz x86 processor (1.2 GHz x86 processor recommended)384 MB of RAM (512 MB up to 1 GB recommended)4 GB hard diskGraphics card capable of at least 800x600 resolution, which
is not using the NVidia or ATI fglrx proprietary drivers, and which is
not an onboard video chipset that shares main memory with the CPUA network or Internet connection (not strictly needed, but very useful for updates and for communicating with the EMC community)The LinuxCNC website has a pretty detailed manual on configuration and operation of Emc2.

Hope this helps

Jesse