[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Fri Oct 2 17:48:22 UTC 2009

If you believe that dissent and discord are reasons to abandon a decision
making process, then I'm afraid that you're right, consensus isn't going to
make you happy.
The discordant yelling is part of the process.  It's how you know we're
actually talking about something people care about; it's how you know that
compromises are being cooked up.  I would be a lot more worried about the
state of our organization if this stuff wasn't being discussed to death.

I think that the kind of quick up-and-down votes you're talking about would
just serve to either (a) short-circuit the process of actually making a
group decision or (b) give he illusion of having made a decision when in
fact everything's still up in the air.

Back to my previous question, do you actually have something you want us to
do that's being prevented by the consensus process?  Or are you just upset
by the chaotic nature of it?

--S

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:

> We've already got people bitching about this thread all over IRC and
> elsewhere so I'm officially giving up on this for 24 hours (at least).
>
> I would suggest that anyone who hasn't ALREADY replied on this topic
> and has an opinion should do so just for diversity and variety's sake.
> Otherwise, it's just five or so of us doing rounds.
>
> Al

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700