[Noisebridge-discuss] more free junk!

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 22:19:22 UTC 2009

+1, and thanks.

All of us hackers, not just NB, face exactly the same issues: we all
have to be willing to accept more than we need, knowing that sometimes
we get a gem, and often, we have to cart a bunch of useless junk to an
ewaste facility. We just hope we don't bump in to the person who donated
the junk on the way out.

Thinking we might need something later is only a small part of the
reason we hoard. We hoard because we know these items have intrinsic
value, and that somewhere in the world, possibly on our very own block,
some geek is working on a project and at 2am will suddenly be blocked
because he or she lacks the very 0.02 femto floobifier that we have been
tempted to throw out. And so we keep that floobifier, hoping that we
will meet this geek, and our pleasure in seeing the floobifier put to
good use will be rivaled only by the geeks joy in having their project
continue.

And we hope that geek also has a box of junk, and that some day, at 2am,
they will have exactly the bizarre item we need, and will share with us.

I know that stepper motors are so common they are almost valueless. I
know that everyone has a box full of unneeded stepper motors. But
somehow it seems wrong, immoral really, to throw away something that
took time and energy and raw materials to create.

It's very much like that old expression "Finish your vegetables. There
are children starving in China". It's not that your finishing your
vegetables will make the starving child feel any better, but that it is
somehow immoral to throw out something that someone else could use.

I can't store my unfinished vegetables until I meet a starving child in
China*, but I can pretty easily store the stepper motors until one of my
students needs one.

Until I run out of space. And then the best thing to do is to keep
passing around those stepper motors, hopefully making it more likely
that a motor and a person who needs a motor will somehow find out about
each other.

I heard a wonderful story on the radio the other day. The author read
from a short story on farming, in which he described how every farm has
a junk pile. At the end of his reading, an older farmer approached him
and said "We don't call that a junk pile, we call that _inventory_".

Here's to shared inventory!

Michael

---

* Yes, I know I can give my unfinished vegetables to a homeless person
on the street, and I do that, but that's not the point. Don't interrupt
a good rant.