[Noisebridge-discuss] Interviewing a Phelps

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Tue Oct 6 01:51:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com> wrote:
> I've got a couple interviews lined up for a new podcast about people
> or situations I find interesting.
>
> For next week: one of the Phelps, of godhatesfags.com et al.
>
> I'll be focusing on meta and philosophical issues related to their
> brand of Calvinism, rather than on any of the usual boringly
> scandalous bits. No arguing with them about how they're shocking and
> rude and gays are okay after all; that's been done and I don't believe
> in arguing with someone's axioms.
>
> So: what questions do y'all think I should ask 'em?

* Why does the Westboro Baptist Church protest in person when
protesting on the Internet could reach a much wider audience using far
less of the Church's resources?

(I'm by no means an expert on their activities, but I understand that
the church derives significant income from the legal actions of the
Phelps Chartered law firm, which sues and settles with individuals who
oppose their protest activities.  This income may be a financial
incentive which drives the church to orchestrate their activities to
be as inflammatory as possible.)

* What do they think of Iceland and do they think there's any
correlation between the sexual orientation of their new Prime Minster
and the country's economy?

* Are they familiar with the term troll, and would they like to
supplement BJ's proposed FMoF talk on trolling with first-hand advice
on how to tailor a protest message to maximize social change? ;)