[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

Paul Boehm paul at boehm.org
Tue Oct 6 04:38:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Shannon Lee <shannon at scatter.com> wrote:
> I get the strong impression that the people who are in favor of a voting
> scheme mostly want to have a say in the decision making process, but don't
> want to be actually engaged to the extent that you have to be in order to
> participate in our current process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

i've spent the last 6 years working on hackerspaces, started the
hackerspaces.org website and community, and helped quite a bit with
noisebridge's beginnings. after moving here i attended most meetings.
i think i have good credentials to show that i have genuine interest
in participating in such processes. i'm a bit too busy with work now,
and wouldn't be able to attend right now, but i got tired of
noisebridge's consensus process way before. 've talked to quite a few
other people who spend less or no time at noisebridge meetings
anymore, not because of their personal life, but because they were
unwilling to participate in a very badly functioning decision making
process.

if you say the people complaining are not there a lot, you've just
fallen prey to a survivorship/selection bias fallacy. a lot of people
with dissenting opinions are not there /anymore/.

enki