[Noisebridge-discuss] Deep Crack

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:08:18 UTC 2009

2009/10/07 Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>:
> I had a conversation with John Gilmore today about picking up
> Deep Crack. During our discussion, I asked John about donating
> the machine and about a receipt and so on. To my surprise, he
> isn't ready to transfer ownership of the machine to
> Noisebridge at this time. This outright solves any tax
> concerns, although such concerns would have been John's burden
> anyway (it's up to him to value the item, not us -- we just
> confirm that we received an item).

  I would like to see this work out; while the terms of the
  offer are apparently not what is usual, it is simple legalism
  to insist on them given the nature of the offer -- it is more
  like an exhibit than a donation. We wouldn't want to be unable
  to accept exhibits, would we?

  Some people have pointed out that we are unable to offer a
  guarantee of safety for the machine. This is regrettable but
  true. However, I will make a best effort to ensure people are
  not, you know, putting coffee cups on it or whatever. If
  appropriate, I can offer it water or incense.

> I'm going to lead a time limited project involving Deep Crack.

  It would be nice to know how limited -- 6 months?

> From a legal perspective, I do not believe that being near the
> Deep Crack machine is going to pose a problem for non-US
> citizens. [...snip...] I have stood next to a non-US citizen
> holding a part of the machine. As I understand it this is not
> a violation of ITAR in spirit or in the letter of the law.
> I'll talk with John about this tomorrow too. [...snip...] I do
> however believe that a non-US citizen should not attempt to
> run or use the machine. [...snip...] I will attempt to talk
> with the relevant legal minds at the EFF...

  This is a reasonable start on the legal questions; I hope
  we'll have an answer on these things soon. It would be
  unfortunate if we find we have to remove the thing (though we
  may be able to get away with something like curtains marked
  "Stay Back! US Citizens Only").

--
Jason Dusek