[Noisebridge-discuss] Deep Crack

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:31:24 UTC 2009

Jeffrey, (and list)

I can acknowledge your insistence that this isn't a threat and that
you appreciate the value of Deep Crack in the space, but it sounds
like your missive is primarily re-addressing the debate from
yesterdays meeting, and it sounds like you aren't totally satisfied
with the outcome?  That's understandable too of course--it was a
pretty classic unresolved noisebridge debate.  But I did think that
some of the issues you bring up were addressed reasonably well at the
meeting.

> However, I object to it being at Noisebridge, as it violates our
> current policies

I think that several members made a point to stress that there's no
policing involved with this, and that the point is to be excellent to
each other.  Given this maxim, I'm going to proceed with the
understanding that many members of noisebridge are pissing themselves
with excitement over this machine that really means very little to me
personally, so I'm going to try to respect their geeky joy.

> We explicitly do not allow donations with strings attached.

And we explicitly discussed allowing loans of super fancy exciting
things, especially when (I appreciated Michael's point on this) they
are for a specific project, and it sounds like this will be a
contained project.

> For a machine with this much value, I would NEVER accept a verbal
> agreement stating that we would not have liability.

I feel like actually, I probably would accept a verbal agreement with
John Gillmore.  I have immense respect for him.  Although if a written
agreement is all it would take to make you more comfortable, that's a
possible productive solution you could put forward.  I think that you
don't mean for this to be disrespectful and critical, but it sort of
sounds that way.

> I was told it's $300/key to crack.  I've also been told that you and
> others have offered to pay for the power to run this so that
> Noisebridge doesn't get the burden.  But, due to two factors it's
> sadly not that simple.

I think that the cost is a reasonable concern, and I would be
concerned about that myself.  However, I think that the people
involved in this project sound totally willing to be accountable for
the costs, and I'm willing to assume good faith that they will attempt
to genuinely cover them.  And if Noisebridge subsidizes the cost
somewhat, I really don't think that's a big deal.  If it turns out
that people are using Deep Crack round the clock for months on end,
cracking the many DES cyphers out there in the wild, we would
certainly revisit the cost issue.

> This is obviously the #1 concern.  Whether or not it is legal for a
> non-US citizen to be next to our touching the machine is a huge
> concern.  Even the hint of doubt that it may be a problem should keep
> this out of the space.

I disagree with your "hint of doubt" logic, but I think that this is
also a reasonable concern.  I would like to see Jake commit to posting
more thorough details about the legal situation once he's talked to
the EFF.  If however, the situation sounds reasonable (which so far it
does), I don't think this is a dealbreaker.  As far as I understood
it, the issue is not with touching or being next to the machine, but
operating it.  Luckily, I don't think you can trip and fall and run a
DES cracker.  So it sounds like a sign would be sufficient to prevent
mishaps.  I think that this could be a dealbreaker for any permanent
installation in noisebridge though, so I'm not sure if I would support
noisebridge taking Deep Crack permanently.  But for a limited
excursion into the world of DES cracking, it seems not too bad.

> We could never guarantee that only citizens would operate the machine.

I don't think we would have to.  But Jake can clarify the EFF's
recommendations on that.

So, those are my thoughts.  I hope that we can have an excellent
discussion about your concerns, Jeffrey.

-Kelly