[Noisebridge-discuss] Deep Crack

Joachim Pedersen joachimp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:39:17 UTC 2009

> We explicitly do not allow donations with strings attached.
It sounds more like Jake is taking possession of  dCrack, not Noisebridge.
Doesn't that change things?

> Secondly, PG&E bills electricity on a tiered system.  Thus, the more
> power you use, the more expensive it becomes per kWh.  This means that
> even if you pay the $300 for a key to be cracked, the power
> Noisebridge normally uses will cost more.  Attempting to calculate out
> how much that additional cost would end up being is going to be an
> overly complicated task.
Not really, if we track the power used by deep crack, it's pretty
basic math to figure this out... Especially if we find a way to crack
only during off peak hours.

> This is obviously the #1 concern.  Whether or not it is legal for a
> non-US citizen to be next to our touching the machine is a huge
> concern.
I still don't understand how we went from the legality of the export
of cypto tech to legality of foreign nationals being in proximity to a
piece of cyptotech who's 0-day has long since passed.

> Even the hint of doubt that it may be a problem should keep
> this out of the space.
Like alcholic berverages, Lead-tin Solder, Florescent lights that
contain.... A roof that people have regular access to... the list goes
on... so where is the rational place to stop...

>It goes against our policies,
> and leaves us open to a huge legal liability that could result in
> Noisebridge being dissolved.
A great many things could result in noisebridge/people being
dissolved, anyone ever been bitten by a rabid rat? Misuse of a shop
tool resulting in serious injury or death. Or being in the space when
some 1337 hacker at 2169 gets hauled off b/c one too many  metasploit
pokes at *.gov networks, and you just happen to be present at the
time... lest I start on issues with our infrastructure...

Why this sudden swing towards self-policing? If this degree of fear
was present during the build-out of 2169, we would still be at 83c. I
want access to deepcrack, it would be nice if I could play with it
while in the space... I might even want to be photographed in close
proximity to DeepCrack for said 2010 calendar  ...
Maybe installing it in the DjBooth with sufficiently isolate it from
accidental contact with a foreigner.

-Joachim