[Noisebridge-discuss] Deep Crack

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Oct 8 06:56:47 UTC 2009

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2009, at 11:39 PM, Joachim Pedersen wrote:
>>> This is obviously the #1 concern.  Whether or not it is legal for a
>>> non-US citizen to be next to our touching the machine is a huge
>>> concern.
>> I still don't understand how we went from the legality of the export
>> of cypto tech to legality of foreign nationals being in proximity to a
>> piece of cyptotech who's 0-day has long since passed.
>

> We went there when the original posting read:
>> Announce: Deep Crack offered to NB. Fastest (non-classified) 3DES
>> cracker. Non repurposable. US citizen use only. Claimed value $250k.
>> Takes a lot of power, six racks worth of stuff, needs a truck. (Talk
>> to Jake)

That was the first posting in months but not the first discussion of the
device in the space. I have emailed the EFF. I will respect and relay
their answer to the group.

> And some of us are US non-citizens, as well as aware of the extent to
> which INS/DHS/Border control/DoD/whoever can be fickly and unreasonable.

It seems like a reasonable fear but also it seems like fear. Have you
investigated all of the software and hardware at Noisebridge that
performs cryptographic operations?

>> Why this sudden swing towards self-policing? If this degree of fear
>> was present during the build-out of 2169, we would still be at 83c. I
>> want access to deepcrack, it would be nice if I could play with it
>> while in the space... I might even want to be photographed in close
>> proximity to DeepCrack for said 2010 calendar  ...
>> Maybe installing it in the DjBooth with sufficiently isolate it from
>> accidental contact with a foreigner.
>

> That sounds like an awesome photograph!

I agree.

> Let me be clear, again, to at least remove myself from the FUD
> accusations that have been issued:
> * I think it's a cool thing.

Thank you.

> * I do worry when I run into things that say 'US citizen only'.

I'm sorry. I really don't want to say that, I expressed it as a possible
concern. It is likely only that you would not be able to do a key search
or export it. Alternatively, you can volunteer to be a test case if you
really dislike ITAR. :-)

> * I will be perfectly happy once Jake, as he has told us he will do,
> clarifies what we need to do to alleviate these worries. If this turns
> out - which wouldn't surprise me - to be "Don't use the machine if
> you're alien", then that settles it completely in my mind.

Thank you Mikael. I'm sorry that this is such a hassle and that my
government is totally unreasonable.

To give a sense of scale, a reasonable sized cluster of Play Stations is
more powerful than Deep Crack!

Best,
Jake