[Noisebridge-discuss] Deep Crack

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 07:37:28 UTC 2009

You know?  I think this discussion has changed my mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I see it:

What you're proposing is a limited time workshop project, much like the
workshop Chris Paget ran a while back for the RFID stuff, bringing his own
equipment.  Due to the constraints of the system, it necessarily will need
to remain in the space for an extended period.  The question thus becomes
will this impinge upon disinterested members space or projects (as the
DIYBio fridge obviously did).  I think at this point we might have enough
unallocated space to house it.  I have no doubt the interested parties would
be certain they aren't in anyone else's way with it.

I'm willing to wager that the EFF has taken out insurance on this thing.  I
think it'd be prudent to check to be sure that insurance would cover it
while it's in our space.  I'd really hate to be the ignoble fools who
borrowed such a prestigious machine only to destroy it by rats gnawing on
it.

If there are legal ramifications for non-citizens to be exposed to this,
either for the foreign nationals or those who are responsible for the
system, then I'm willing to wager we'd have the owners of the machine, the
EFF, on our side ready to defend it.  (Who incidentally are possibly the
most qualified lawyers in the country to defend such things.)  That being
said, I would expect any necessary clear and explicit instructions for our
non-citizen members would be available so we don't have any challenges.
Would I be mistaken in this assumption?

That said, I see no reason not to move forward with this.

Christie
---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.
    - RFC 1925

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson