[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking for Gigapan

Don French dcfrench at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:12:00 UTC 2009

Gigapan didn't really do much that was innovative, as far as hardware or
software is concerned.   There were many motorized, programmable, pan-tilt
heads long before the Gigapan (Harbortronics, Peace River, Klauss,
Pinnacle-VR to name a few).  In fact, my product was on the market before
Gigapan -- but not by much.  Also, there were several high quality stitching
programs long before Gigapan, including most notably AutoPano and PTGui,
which is a GUI front end on Panorama Tools, the granddaddy of them all.
What Gigapan brought to the party was the integration of THEIR hardware with
THEIR stitching software and THEIR website for uploading and viewing panos.
Their one hardware innovation was providing the means to fire the shutter on
a P&S camera, and while it is kind of kludgey, it works -- and bringing the
P&S crowd into the game is what is really responsible for the widespread
popularity of their gadget.  Also, the price point was within reach of the
average person, thanks largely to a substantial per-unit subsidy by Google.
  So, while the Gigapan people did not really invent much, they did add
greatly to the popularization of panoramic photography by the masses, for
which I am eternally grateful.

-- Don