[Noisebridge-discuss] deep crack announcement .. tax issue/

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Thu Oct 8 21:53:52 UTC 2009

Sai Emrys writes:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Tom Longson (nym) <tomlong at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think of it as a deterrent to any foreigners visiting the space who may be
> > worried about their Visas, again, justified or not.
>
> FWIW, my read of the law is that there's no basis to be worried about
> this. The only restrictions I saw are on *export* or *sale*, not on
> mere proximity or even usage.

A part of U.S. export law that has long been a concern for researchers
is the notion of a "deemed export" (which exists in some form under
both the ITAR and EAR regimes):

http://www.bis.doc.gov/deemedexports/deemedexportsfaqs.html

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en