[Noisebridge-discuss] CNC Shop Class

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Mon Oct 12 20:50:51 UTC 2009

Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Jonathan Foote writes:
> This raises the question of what people working with this machine expect
> the right, best, or typical workflow to be.  Do you mainly want
>
> * the simulator working on the same machine in the shop that's used to
>   control the mill?
>
> * the simulator working on a separate dedicated machine at Noisebridge
>   that people can use to simulate their projects before uploading them to
>   that machine?
>
> * the simulator working on lots of individuals' own computers?
>
> Is getting this simulation working mainly a one-time thing or something
> that many prospective users will want to replicate over and over again?

I think the last.  Applying the "measure twice cut once" attitude, we
ought to do a lot more simulations than actual cuts, so we probably
shouldn't tie up the mill machine with simulations, and possibly not
even a separate dedicated machine.  I doubt we'll be running simulations
24x7 but there might well be popular mill working times.

Anyway *I* want to get a simulator working locally and I'll need all the
help I can get.

Rachel