[Noisebridge-discuss] CNC Shop Class

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 21:07:48 UTC 2009

When I was doing the CNC plasma cutting, we always did the "measure twice"
simulation using the actual device, only with the cutter turned off.  When
working out a new design on the material, it was pretty important to run the
gcode through the device (with elevated z) to make sure you weren't running
over the edge (since the material was almost always smaller than the
capabilities of the machine), etc.

Once you've got your gcode generated, I'm having a hard time envisioning
what else you'd want the simulator to do.  I think that generation and fine
tuning of gcode should happen elsewhere though.  I would argue that this
should be available to work on everyone's individual computer, as it's the
sort of thing you could come back to tweak quite a bit before machine your
part, etc.

y'know like punch cards.

Christie
---