[Noisebridge-discuss] CNC Shop Class

Michael Wright mike at smallip.com
Mon Oct 12 20:58:56 UTC 2009

I'd like the simulator on a separate machine at NB, and for lots of
people to be able to simulate running parts on their own machines.
There's limited value to having the simulator on the Mill Computer
because one could just leave the Mill power off and effectively have a
simulator, or "Home" the Z axis up in the air and watch the mill
actually run.

At this point the Mill and Mill Control Computer are effectively a
single resource.  If folks can prep their g-code files on a separate
machine, that will greatly increase the number of people who can make
parts on the mill.  This would also hopefully make it more social (I
can be making g-code while Jon's cutting parts, or vice-versa).

Having good simulator setup instructions would make it much easier for
anyone running Linux to have their g-code sorted before arriving.
That's how I'm hoping to do it using VM-Ware on MacOS.

mike