[Noisebridge-discuss] Rsync Support Group / UNIX Systems Administration Group

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Oct 15 01:33:23 UTC 2009

Jesse welz wrote:
> Would this group be for advanced users to discuss
> advanced/intermediate topics or would there be some benefit for a noob
> attending this group to learn some more about UNIX system
> administration?

I think it should be both.

For instance, I don't even get Leif's joke about
> calling the group Rsync Support Group because I don't even know what a
> Rsync is/does

rsync is a very useful tool (see wikipedia for an overview of it) and
I'm sure that many people who have been using it for years don't know
about some of its features. There is certainly a lot we can say about
rsync, but not quite so much that a group would want to meet about it
regularly; so, the joke was that the group should actually be about a
variety topics unrelated to rsync which are of interest to people who
just happen to use rsync. Not as funny once explained, but since I do
actually want it to be called NB-RUG I guess it is good to explain it :)

~leif