[Noisebridge-discuss] VPN from the noisebridge network.

nils at shkoo.com nils at shkoo.com
Thu Oct 15 04:19:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> On another note, is stateless autoconfiguration a good idea at
> noisebridge? It leaks privacy information out to the world (your
> interface's MAC address is used to construct your IP).

That's a good point. Rfc3041 supposedly addresses this issue pretty well,
even more so than ipv4 since you periodically get a new address even if
you're at the same location.

According to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation/report-rfc3041.txt
it's turned on by default for Windows XP.

Under Linux you can set net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr=2

Under FreeBSD you can set both net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1 and
net.inet6.ip6.prefer_tempaddr=1.

Under Mac OSX it looks like you just need net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1

(I don't have direct experience with rfc3041 so YMMV)

> If this scares you, you can manually select one from the
> 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 available in that subnet.

I guess that's the harder way to do it. :)

-nils