[Noisebridge-discuss] cleaning up

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 17:06:39 UTC 2009

IIRC simple procedures, strongly reinforced, became a habit. When they
become a habit, they do not distract from focus.

Perhaps making cleaning up a habit might work, perhaps via a simple
mnemonic, with loads of posters around to reinforce the message. That
is how Cisco hammered home the frugality message, attaching cards to
employee badges, collecting metrics, putting up posters, making it an
agenda point at meetings. Eventually it became a habit, and part of
the culture.

Some suggestions:

- A reminder message on the door, on the way out: "Leaving? Did you
clean up? Are you sure?" - maybe with a picture of a happy rat eating
a burrito or something like that.

- A few posters, with striking graphics, explaining what to do:

"Don't feed the rats! If you're done eating, and no-one wants your
leftovers, throw them away!"
"Don't want it, can't eat it? Put it on the hack shelf, e-waste, or
recycling - not a work table."
"Think of the next hacker - clean up your workspace before you go"
"Is your code as messy as you are? Is that bad?"
...etc

maybe have a poster competition?

- Collect metrics or data, eg. take photos of egregious messes

- Make tidiness an agenda point at every meeting, at least until
things are under control - review the metrics or incidents collected

- If things get really bad, have "all-hands" cleaning marathons
occasionally. At NYC Resistor, the incentive for this was a rooftop
barbeque for all involved.

With any luck, once habits settle in, a lot less energy needs to be
spent on this, and exceptions will be so noticeable that they will be
handled quickly.

-