[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] I think I'm done helping with build out and the space over all

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Oct 16 19:57:51 UTC 2009

Hi kids, it's really astonishing how this list can go from me stating
this thing that I'm going to stop doing as a notification to others to
not bug me about general build out and facilities tasks, to coming up
with multiple solutions to problems that aren't really problems.

"How is that Rubin?"

Well first and foremost I'd like to list out what "dirty" issues I have
with the space which is causing me to kind of give up on helping out
anymore...

* People leave projects and hack/communal objects out and about, do not
clean up after themselves to make room for other people to hack on things.
* People leave trash EVERYWHERE, the place is starting to smell like the
market downstairs and the roaches are disgusting.
* People would much rather erect new work spaces (such as foldy tables)
then deal with the cruft on already well placed work spaces. This
creates a very cluttered space, drawing parallels to 83c.
* People bring in donated stuff and just leave it in walk ways or on
work spaces. Even though I've heard literally a dozen people talk about
how someone should create guidelines and a process for how to donate
things to Noisebridge, no one has stepped up to knock out this simple
task. All this would take is organizing what donated crap we have now
and making some very handy signs and a wiki page.
* The floors are fucking filthy.

For the first few bullet points I've already created an extremely simple
solution..

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/House_Keeping#Weekly_Chores

Sadly even though I've been promoting it, most members just like to
bitch about the current situation and leave the space then actually take
up a task and complete it. And I am so not going to fucking lead by
example here because I've been doing it since we were in the old space.

For the last bullet point, as stated at one of our previous meetings,
Mitch and I have found a maid service. They're willing to come in and
clean all the floors (like fucking clean the floors) except for the shop
and darkroom, plus all of the kitchen and bathrooms. They do not want to
start until build out is complete for both the kitchen and new bathroom.

Some folks have stated that we should just throw more money into the
maid solution so they can clean up everything. Why I am totally against
that idea...

* Maid services already cost a whole fuck ton of money, why throw more
funds into that when they can be thrown into other projects at Noisebridge?
* Maids don't organize items that aren't trash. Once you throw away all
of the bottles and cans and garbage, then sweep and mop the floor, the
big problems left are just peoples junk (and communal items) left out by
members and guests and a clutter of poorly place tables and general
furniture.
* What kind of fucking depraved hacker childhood have you come from? You
don't live in your mom's basement anymore, she isn't here to clean up
after you, grow a fucking spine and take care of your own god damn mess
people.

The problem isn't "we have a filthy space and need to find someone to
throw money to clean it up" but actually is "we have a large number of
people who use the space that don't feel the need to invest time into
cleaning up their own mess so others can utilize the space too."

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net