[Noisebridge-discuss] Open Source Bicycle Computer...

dpc weasel at meer.net
Sun Oct 18 23:53:15 UTC 2009

Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> writes:

> Interesting -- I've used the ANT rf modules for a recent project. I
> knew they were in the Nike "smart shoes" but I didn't know about GPS
> etc.  ANT seems to be widespread, and it's pretty efficient yada yada.
> But the protocol is gnarly and they charge you $700+ for a
> "development kit" that includes the documentation you really need to
> use it.

woah! i hadn't looked at what it took to support it. i only knew that
things like power meters were supporting it so that they didn't have to
do their own head units (these things are ~1.2k dollars new w/o the head
unit).

> Does Garmin, etc. publish their interface?

i'm not sure, but things are standardized enough that people mix/match
units between manufacturers.

i may really only know about the expensive stuff because the power
crank/wheel/sensor bit is the really expensive part and what i was
looking for. manufacturers have started doing some amount of 'sharing'
because people weren't interested in having to lug N different devices,
and then trying to do data correlation after workouts.

\p
---
It may of course be possible that risks-awareness and extreme care are
developed in the course of dancing with the fuckup fairy in the pale
moonlight. - Anthony de Boer