[Noisebridge-discuss] High-speed WISP from monkeybrains.net?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Oct 20 04:40:51 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Matt Peterson's message of Mon Oct 19 17:56:56 -0700 2009:
> We have a few efforts already going down a similar avenue.  I hope to
> connect to the City of SF's fiber network, using donated Internet
> Archive bandwidth.  This requires mounting a pole, antenna, radio, etc
> on the roof along with running some cables into the space.  Reoccuring
> cost should be nil.

If we're already going to be placing a mount on the roof, maybe
repurposing one of these Soekris/Atheros mPCI 802.11b boxes we have and
placing an omni antenna for a monkeybrains->2169 link as a backup or
Sonic.net replacement if it's a better deal/connectivity.

> I've spoken briefly to Zedd & Jim about this, I'm waiting to schedule an
> install for the other-side-of-the-link location along with ordering some
> equipment (if anyone wants to buy some Ubiquti BulletM5 units or
> antennas for the cause, plz to be stepping up).

I'm very much interested in helping make this happen, Matt. Even more so
if we get to take a field trip to the other end of the link :)

Are you thinking we should go 5ghz / 802.11a?

I'd be willing to throw down for a Bullet5, maybe a Bullet5-HP if I could go
in on it with someone. I'm not sure if we'd need it if we had adequate
gain antennas on either side.

Looks like the Bullet5 is ~64USD for 150mW
And the Bullet5-HP is ~80USD for 300mW

Anyone have recommendations for 5Ghz directional antennae? Something
like the classic 2.4Ghz grill, but for 5Ghz perhaps?

--j