[Noisebridge-discuss] Hosting a sexuality unconference at Noisebridge? KinkForAll San Francisco wants to make some Noise. :)

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:03:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM, maymay <bitetheappleback at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't called them because from the
> information I have Noisebridge is the better venue, and I wanted to
> give my preferred choice—you guys—the opportunity of first rejection.

As Ani pointed out, Arse Elektronika was a good example of a
sex-oriented event which was appropriate to the space.  Would you
consider tailoring the focus of your unconference to be germane to the
spirit and values of hacking?  An easy way to accomplish this might be
to focus all the sessions on MAKING and DOING instead of just
deconstructing the dominant paradigm.  How about:

 Make Your Own Prophylactics
 Recycled Condom Sculpture
 Diagnose Social Diseases in Yourself and Others
 Group Experiment: Is DVDA Possible?

Based on personal experience I would discourage any open-ended talks
along the lines of:

 Why You're A Chauvinist Pig
 Help, Help, I'm Being Repressed
 Listen To My Rant
 Oh I Have Something To Say About That Too

Perusing the program from your recent event in New York I would
suggest to skip on any topics containing the words "hegemonic",
"politicization", or "identity".  This might help make the sessions
relevant to a broader segment of people at this space, although
certainly there are venues where such topics would be appropriate.