[Noisebridge-discuss] Hosting a sexuality unconference at Noisebridge? KinkForAll San Francisco wants to make some Noise. :)

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Oct 26 11:47:24 UTC 2009

FWIW, one benefit I think that hosting KFA @ NB would have that
hosting it at a sex/kink-oriented space (e.g. Armory, Citadel) is that
it'd feel *less* kinky.

That is, while I'm sure such spaces would be happy to have KFA, they
create a psychological barrier to entry.

If KFA is intending to cater to the public perhaps more than to
self-espoused kinksters, making it feel less kinky would be likewise
less scary and make it more comfortable for people who aren't already
Into The Sceneā„¢.

To make it personal: I'm extremely pro-kink, but personally totally
vanilla. I have tons of kinky friends, I know a lot about kink, why it
works for people, how to tie up someone's arms, etc... but I'm just
not really into it myself. Like I said earlier, it's an intellectual
interest.

I would find a kink-oriented space mildly off-putting in a way that I
would not find NB, even if the actual content is the same. (See? I can
be emotionally irrational too. I'm just ... rational about it. :-P)

I suspect that I am not alone in this.

How/whether it balances vs other concerns (like whether NB needs the
space, whether KFA is appropriate for NB, whether other venues have
other redeeming qualities, etc), I can't really comment; I'm just
saying it's one factor to consider.

- Sai