[Noisebridge-discuss] Hosting a sexuality unconference at Noisebridge? KinkForAll San Francisco wants to make some Noise. :)

maymay bitetheappleback at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 10:50:51 UTC 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 3:34 AM, Christie Dudley wrote:

> Well, more specifically, we encourage people to "hack" which is
> subtly different than "doing interesting things".

How is it "subtly different"?

> Do you forsee this event as being heavily attended by members of the
> existing Noisebridge hacker community?

Yes, I do. More so if it is held at Noisebridge. :)

> I see two different points you're making here:  Your inability to
> anticipate the number of attendees and some implication that
> Noisebridge is somehow more public than the businesses Josh
> mentions, such as Wicked Grounds or DNA Lounge.  I am rather
> confused by the latter.  They leave their doors unlocked during
> business hours so I fail to understand why you don't consider them
> public.

Sorry, perhaps I should have used the term non-commercial. Is that
clearer?

> And as for your inability to anticipate attendence, it would be of
> significant inconvenience to us as well to not have some idea of the
> numbers of people we'd be hosting.

I'll not be able to give you an exact number, but attendance estimates
are gathered with reasonable accuracy by requesting that people
indicate their participation on the wiki page.

> Once again, there are other venues in town that are not sexuality
> spaces.  In addition to the DNA which Josh mentioned, I believe that
> SPACE, the warehouse Ani lives in likes to host this sort of event.

I've never heard of SPACE. I'll ask Ani about that. Thanks for the tip!

> But as Josh pointed out, it's sort of rude to expect us to offer
> reasonable alternatives.

Um, I didn't expect it. I'm glad to have received additional
suggestions, though. I'm always open to suggestions. :)

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com