[Noisebridge-discuss] Easy video recording of classes / workshops?

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:47:12 UTC 2009

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I don't think it would really
work, at least right now.

1. It's very time consuming to edit/process video and put it online
somewhere accessible. If you hadn't noticed, we have a major backlog on the
5MoF videos, partly because of this, and partly because everyone involved is
super busy with other stuff.

2. The overhead of setting up a video camera and whatnot in a classroom
becomes annoying. We'd also have to make sure there's room for it, including
a direct line of sight, which would involve shuffling people around in favor
of the camera.

3. There's also the problem of storage: can we safely ensure a video
camera/tripod/tapes/digital storage will be kept safe? We have been running
into a couple "uh oh!" moments lately, and having a camera used for a bunch
of different events (especially ones running at the same time) would agitate
everyone.

4. Consent from everyone involved? I personally don't want everything I do
videorecorded. I especially don't want every workshop I do recorded. It
would be annoying. Imagine if we tape recorded every one of Mitch/Miloh's
soldiering workshops? They do really cool stuff, but it eventually becomes
repetitive (like any intro class). Mitch/Miloh do it because they love
teaching and helping others, but a third party would have no reason to watch
videos of every week.

5. Given that not every class/workshop would want it, this now creates a
burden of expectation on the leader/teacher. What if students show up with
false expectations of a video camera?

For the most part, I think meeting notes are enough. If I teach a security
workshop, I'm more than happy to post notes after the fact. For 5MoF, we at
least try to keep an updated log of what was spoken on (still working on
that backlog). I know Josh at least *used* to keep meeting notes on the
machine learning.

The easiest way to tackle this issue: if you want to make a workshop but
can't because of a time conflict, email the organizer and ask if they can
take notes for the meeting and send them to you or the list. Most people are
at least able to appoint someone as "secretary", and in general will be
happy that you were interested in their workshop.

aestetix