[Noisebridge-discuss] Be Excellent to one another

maymay bitetheappleback at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:57:01 UTC 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Elmar Lecher wrote:

> Try to find solutions instead of setting up rules.

+1.

I'm consistently surprised with the tendency people have to set up
restrictions (i.e., rules) rather than simply making improvements to
the way they do things.

The idea of "finding solutions instead of setting up rules"
presupposes that "rules are not always solutions," which is a good
thing to keep in mind. For instance, I recently learned of a design
for reducing traffic accidents and pedestrian deaths that—surprisingly—
radically reduces the number of warning signs and other traffic
signals (like traffic lights!) used at intersections. Turns out, this
actually works wonders.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_zittrain_the_web_is_a_random_act_of_kindness.html

Skip to about 12:12 in the video linked above and watch for about 30
seconds for the relevant bit. I think it's neat.

Cheers,
-maymay