[Noisebridge-discuss] Be Excellent to one another

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Thu Oct 29 03:59:54 UTC 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 6:31 PM, Jesse welz wrote:

> One of things I love so much about Noisebridge is the fact it is
> accepting of everyone, including trans-people and after seeing some
> transphobia emerge through this off topic part of the smoking thread I
> am now very concerned that there may be some people at NB who don't
> give a damn about the feelings of trans-people. I know this thread got
> derailed and I am just adding to it but could people please not be
> transphobic? We are already the most despised minority in the world
> right now and last thing we need is to experience hate and ignorance
> in one of the few places we can consider a safe space.

I think you're projecting a bit, maybe due to oversensitivity.

Some of us think there is a difference between a particular person
being thinskinned about the word "bro" given with no intention of harm
and actual violence or hatred directed towards transgendered
individuals or assuming that a disagreement about a word is indicative
of phobia towards a whole class of people.

  There *may* be some people at NB that are transphobic but I've
certainly seen no evidence of it today.

  Al