[Noisebridge-discuss] open water floating island - build your own island!

Paul Böhm paul at boehm.org
Sun Sep 6 22:30:42 UTC 2009

hey,

in a month (oct 2-4) there will be a burning man-ish event on floating
islands in the sacramento river delta. a kind of
anarchist/futurist/seasteading/libertarian/artistic group is putting
this together. this is a bring your own island event!

http://www.ephemerisle.org/

i want to build a floating platform/island for this. plan so far:

bamboo frame (large diameter bamboo) with plywood and landscaping plastic on top
buoyancy supported by fishnets filled with empty plastic bottles
modules made of 3feet by 3feet (too big? too small?) that can be
(should we ever make more than one) connected to each other
rollable grass on top to better deal with erosion
hooks for mounting tent/shade structures + safety flotation devices

a guy has pushed this kind of design so far that he has a house and
solar powered artificial waterfall on his island:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Island

anyone else excited about this? we should be able to pull this off
within a month. thoughts?

enki