[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraiser at Cellspace October 9th

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:35:02 UTC 2009

Cellspace has reserved the space for October 9th and now they'd like to get
a contract.  I had hoped to talk about this at the meeting this week.  Time
is really tight for planning this, so we need to get moving on it now.

*What this needs most is a general consensus that this is a good idea for
Noisebridge*.  Does anyone have any objection to the following:

What I'm proposing is a night of entertainment at Cellspace.  I'm thinking
something like $10 in advance and $15 at the door and selling snacks and
drinks.  We won't be selling alcohol, but there's no restriction about
having alcohol in the building, if you must. This will allow the event to be
all ages, and we won't need to be checking IDs or anything like that.  I
have numbers that I'd rather not post to the list for costs, so contact me
if you're interested in that.

Miloh has some interesting soft drink ideas and VonGuard has volunteered his
wife's cupcakes.  I'm hoping to talk people into making other stuff too.  I
know it would be odd to be selling books and whatnot at a party, but if
we're selling t-shirts, collecting orders for discounted books might also be
something we can do.

Other help that will be necessary:

putting together the entertainment lineup (so we can advertise it) - I
talked to San about this, and have a number of names of volunteer
performers.  We just need to solidify
Figure out a theme - While "noisebridge fundraiser" sounds OK, something we
can tie different elements in with would be preferable.
producing flyers - graphic design anyone?  I know we have some
super-talented people.  Were Ian and Daniella interested in this?
Working out all the things we can incorporate to make money (which does NOT
include corporate sponsorship. I know other tech activities do that, but I
don't feel that's appropriate for our mission).
Promotions - Naomi had offered up some things here, but we can't have too
much promotion.  Cellspace is over twice the size of our new space, so the
more the merrier.
Coming up with ways to decorate the space according to the theme.

Assuming we can get any objections resolved, I'd like to have an
organizational meeting Sunday evening at 6:00 to go over everything.
 Hopefully we can hammer out a theme at that point and folks can go home
with ideas on what to put on the flyers.  I'll bring a list of all the
entertainers who have volunteered so we can go over that too.

Christie
---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.
    - RFC 1925