[Noisebridge-discuss] Pony & membership

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Sep 7 19:33:37 UTC 2009

jim wrote:
>    thanks. as it turns out, i'd just finished
> reading the vision page.
>
>    giving keys out as a judgement call to anyone
> at all strikes me as a bad idea. seems a good
> thing to limit keys to members, as there's a
> fair amount of stuff there that should not go
> missing.

There's a lot of stuff about Noisebridge that strikes people as a bad
idea until they see it work. You point out that there's a fair amount of
stuff that should not go missing and so far it has not. Certainly it's
worth noting that much of that stuff was brought in by people who felt
welcome and who had keys before their membership was formalized.

>    i recall a point made in the early days of
> 83C about members getting keys only after they'd
> paid their dues.

From the very start there has been contention about keys. I have
consistently fought against access restrictions and membership has never
 been a requirement for key holding. If anything, it's assured you must
take on the burden of having a key if you become a member. But having a
key is not a sign of membership.

>    the question of resource use remains open:
> * what's it mean "resources"?
> * are all resources available to all and sundry
> or are some resources limited to members?
> * are some resources made available by owners
> of resources to whomever they wish?

A good discussion topic for a meeting, I'm sure.

Best,
Jake