[Noisebridge-discuss] Linux Ethernet-over-IP tunnels

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Sep 11 22:49:58 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Alex Perez's message of Thu Sep 10 18:31:03 -0700 2009:
> L2TP (Layer 2 Transport Protocol) is the "sexy" way to do this, but it
> can be a bitch to configure. Most OSes support some for of L2TP,
> alongside more traditional mechanisms such as PPTP.

I was hoping to find some way of getting this in-kernel, as this may
turn into a project that would need high performance networking at
times.

If only: "ip tunnel add foobar mode l2_over_ip ....."

L2TP seems like the way to go, it just seems like a ton of session
management and overhead to just shuttle some frames from here to there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

--j