[Noisebridge-discuss] Linux Ethernet-over-IP tunnels

Rodney Thayer redshuttlegunner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:58:09 UTC 2009

ok someone else already used "sexy" and "ethernet frame" in the same
post so I can do it too ;-)

I believe another sexy way to do this is to run MPLS and let the kernel
pump the frames over IP just like an MPLS cloud would.  I've not done
this.  I just checked and there was (as of Fedora 8...) some MPLS Linux
kernel work.

P.s. one could also be cruder and write a PCAP-enabled application that
wraps frames in your own format and blurts them over a wire to the other
end.  802.2-over-http-over-tcp-over-ipv4 via a PCAP-aware perl script
hitting a CGI on an instance of Apache HTTPD at the other end?  That'd
be ghetto but it might work...