[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker Dojo / NB reciprocal membership WAS: Hacker Dojo up and running, and in the mainstream news

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 22:47:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Naomi Most's message of Sat Sep 12 05:35:41 -0700 2009:
> > Yes.
> >
> > Relatedly, I've been thinking about revisiting my years spent developing
> > around Asterisk and instating a hackerspace-spanning telco over VOIP.
>
> Sounds like a worthy idea, though getting everyone to interoperate might
> be tricky. It seems that almost everyone has a different opinion as to
> how this stuff should function.

True.  It requires all interested parties to sign on to an architecture (and
therefore a leading architect, at least for the first incarnation).

There are several different Right Ways to organize such a thing, all with
their own arbitrary pros and cons; the only important thing is to reach
consensus on a Way and then stick to it ... until such time as the
architecture becomes obviously the Wrong Thing and we need to refactor.
 Conceivably, the Right Architect would be forward-thinking enough to stave
off the refactoring for a good long time.

> I think having some public SIP addresses other spaces can call into and
> maintaining a hacerspace-local list of addresses would make it
> possible for other people to connect as they please.

Yep!  What's useful about phones is immediacy and interrupt, which is great
for situations in which you're off-site and you need a special weird part,
which means (generally) that you need someone on-site to confirm that it is,
indeed, the special weird part you need.

There are also possibilities like giving all members their own name-routed
extension (meaning that no longer do you have to fish around for someone's
cell number as long as you know their name); expertise-based routing;
time-of-day routing; special voicemail buckets for certain topics... These
things make me happy.

> There's even already an asterisk setup going on at the 83c space. The
> red payphone and Cisco VoIP desk phone hook into it with SIP.

Ah, cool.  I'm still learning what's already been done at Noisebridge.  I'd
love to inspect that setup and route some extensions through my toy asterisk
server as a starting point for further interaction.

--Naomi

--
---
Naomi Most