[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraiser at Cellspace October 9th

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Sep 18 22:21:39 UTC 2009

John Magolske wrote, On 2009/09/18 12:07:
> Last night at 2169 -- the impromptu accordion/washboard musicians
> made cool music, but I did not care for the way they played
> demolition-derby with our roller-chairs, smashing them into each
> other and the floor...we don't need to add to our collection of broken
> chairs. I'm concerned that through bringing in wider cross-sections of
> drunken people to the space we'll see more of this sort of destructive
> behavior.

> I really do like the inclusive open-door nature of Noisebridge. My
> hope would be that this open door exist more for people who come with
> a willingness to contribute or learn in some constructive way, not
> just hang out, get drunk, and try to pick up a 'hacker' contact high.

Some of the group of kids who came in that were part of the whole
squeezebox/wash board contingent had very peaked interest about the
space and Noisebridge as a whole. My understanding was they were invited
in by a friend of a presenter when they ran into each other in front of
our building on the street.

A number of them spoke of returning to Noisebridge for some of our many
classes after they viewed the list off of the wiki through my laptop
setup on the bar. One gentlemen talked about possibly coming in during
one of our Tuesday meetings to discuss us hosting a class of his (don't
remember what the class was as I had this discussion with 4 other people
I had just met who wanted to do the same).

Every single one of them were also happy to make a donation to the space
when I pointed out the donation box at the bar and were generally well
behaved when interacting with me, which is more then I could say about
others utilizing our free open bar.

If you felt that actions others were were executing in the space were
not excellent, as a member (and general human being) you have the
ability to ask them to stop and take it somewhere else.

It would have been awesome if you had stayed later in the night, where
some of Noisebridge's finest got into a piss fight about what movie we
should see on the projector, a cock dance on who's laptop got to be
used, such a major arguathon about who's fault it was that donated Apple
VGA dongles got lost (with no apology or thank you when it was found),
and general drunken tomfoolery with the rolly chairs. Such an
unwelcoming and nerve racking vibe that I eventually packed up and left
to work at home.

I think playing a washboard and banging on the floor for added
percussion are beautiful hacks, no contact high needed.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net