[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraiser at Cellspace October 9th

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sat Sep 19 00:02:40 UTC 2009

First, I want to be clear that I found the FMoF event itself to be
very interesting and enjoyable as usual (thanks!). This is more a
general comment about how we use the space for large gatherings...

* Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> [090918 16:07]:
> Some of the group of kids who came in that were part of the whole
> squeezebox/wash board contingent had very peaked interest about the
> space and Noisebridge as a whole. My understanding was they were
> invited in by a friend of a presenter when they ran into each other
> in front of our building on the street.
>
> A number of them spoke of returning to Noisebridge for some of our
> many classes after they viewed the list off of the wiki through my
> laptop setup on the bar. One gentlemen talked about possibly coming
> in during one of our Tuesday meetings to discuss us hosting a class
> of his (don't remember what the class was as I had this discussion
> with 4 other people I had just met who wanted to do the same).
>
> Every single one of them were also happy to make a donation to
> the space when I pointed out the donation box at the bar and were
> generally well behaved when interacting with me, which is more then
> I could say about others utilizing our free open bar.
>
> If you felt that actions others were were executing in the space
> were not excellent, as a member (and general human being) you have
> the ability to ask them to stop and take it somewhere else.

Yes, in retrospect I wish I would've said something. In this case I
was engrossed in another conversation and a bit surprised to see what
I saw. The behavior stopped, and I continued with my conversation
(btw, I'm referring to the smashing & crashing of chairs that occurred
*after* the music, not the music itself). So yes, 20/20 hindsight.

In any case, I don't mean to debate the merits of those particular
individuals or the folks they're associated with. More, it's a general
concern to see how things might go with large gatherings + alcohol
inebriation in the space with respect to kinetic drunken actions.

T'was:

* flyers posted for the event
* door open to one & all
* open bar

The part of the equation I'd suggest changing is the open bar. If
people want to BYOB that's fine, but I think feeding a crowd booze
in our space is a really bad idea. Also, if we do flyer events, I'd
hope it's done in a thoughtfully selective way that doesn't include
telephone poles and cafés.

John

--
John Magolske