[Noisebridge-discuss] ATSC background?

dpc peter.chang at rovicorp.com
Fri Sep 18 23:16:08 UTC 2009

Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> writes:

> Has anybody looked into constructing ATSC bitstreams and/or modulating
> the same?  All the commercial equipment is godawful expensive, but it
> seems like it shouldn't be too hard to solve with current CPUs.

constructing the streams is 'easy' (well, mutliple programs on a single
stream is sort of a pain if you're xcoding on the fly to get into a
bandwidth limit).

broadcasting turns into the mini-nightmare of not interfering w/ the
people who 'bought' the rights to our airwaves. i think that's where the
pain/expense is (although i've never tried to price things like this and
only go on people telling me "that box over there is really expensive,
don't walk into it").

\p
---
Shallow are the souls that have forgotten how to shudder. - Leon Kass