[Noisebridge-discuss] Google Chrome Frame for IE

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Thu Sep 24 05:28:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Tom Longson (nym) <tomlong at gmail.com> wrote:
> The big problem as far as I can see it is the market that this really is
> critical for, are the business folks who are unable to upgrade browsers due
> to corporate policies, and the chrome frame, like any plugin, requires
> administrator rights to install.

One scenario I've read is that IT departments would love to develop
new apps using modern technologies but have their hands tied by
needing to support old apps simultaneously.  That is, it's the same
department that wants a real browser but mandates IE6, so they're in a
position to evaluate and install CF on exactly the IE6 user base.

Something like Chrome Frame allows a migration path, to have newer
apps written with the new stuff without boiling the ocean of IE apps,
and without requiring users to switch between different browsers to
get a day's work done.  (A nearly equivalent approach in reverse would
be Firefox with the IE Tab extension, but I guess that would also
require the training overhead of switching users off IE.)

Disclaimer: just repeating what I've read, not outlining any secret strategies.