[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: OKCupid: how to get a response

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Sep 28 08:32:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Jack Perkins <jackaperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you really be that surprised to see that sort of feature soon?
> Maybe not at OK Cupid or other big sites, but a sketchy
> myspace-turned-dating site clone? Dating sites have quite a lot of
> information already, it'd be interesting to see what they could get by
> scraping their user's accounts on other sites. How much could really
> be inferred after a user gave away some of their most personal
> preferences and opinions?

FWIW, there's still extant a CSS+JS hack that allows one to scrape the
user's browser history, albeit only against a predetermined set of
URLs...

I'd bet that some people are doing this already.

I really doubt I'll ever see this sort of feature on a sketchy site
though. MySpace isn't exactly populated by people who care about
improving their diction.

- Sai