[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser Cutter!

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:12:24 UTC 2009

I think having a laser cutter in the space would be awesome.  Unfortunately,
with the uncertainty my life holds right now, I don't know how much I could
pledge to support myself.

As for funding, why don't we set up a deadline (Halloween?) and see
> how much dosh we have. I'm all for cheap and cheerful if we can't
> afford top of the line, but there's nothing like a crappy tool to make
> you appreciate a good one.

More than that, there's nothing that discourages a new enthusiastic user
more than the difficulties associated with trying to make a crappy tool
work.  I think the advice on what can be used to drive these things is
really important.  A laser cutter that just sits around because we have to
have a machine that runs windows 3.11 and has a floppy drive that nobody
wants to set up is not going to be very useful.  (I know a certain 3-axis
mill that has spent a lot of time sitting around because of similar
reasons.)

Christie

---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.